All you need to know about high protein foods
Ever wondered about how high-protein foods act as a catalyst for weight loss? Then read this
High protein foods
A high-protein food is a kind of food in which 20% of the calories come from protein substances. In short, a food that contains more nutrient protein and fewer carbohydrates and other nutrients is called a high-protein food.
Consuming high protein is very essential. Here are some of the benefits of high protein food.
Benefits of High protein food
Lowers blood pressure
A high amount of protein in diet lowers the blood pressure. It increases the amount of healthy fat in the body thus reducing blood pressure.
Reduces the risk of Heart attack
Sudden heart attacks are caused due to increased blood pressure. Eating a high protein diet can help you lower the blood pressure thus reducing the risk of sudden heart attacks.
Reduces cravings and appetite
Eating a high protein food can make you full and satisfied even with short meals. High protein foods are known to reduce appetite by making eaters feel full and satisfied even with a short meal. It also reduces craving to eat again and again.
Helps to stay fit and healthy
Proteins are considered to be the building blocks of bones and organs in the body. They provide strength to bones making the body strong , fit and healthy.
High protein food helps in weight loss by fastening the process of metabolism. High amount of protein in the body helps to boost metabolism and burns the excess fat in the body.
Side effects of high protein food
Bad breath –Although a high protein diet is very useful, it can cause bad breath. This could be caused because the body goes into a metabolic state called ketosis, and it produces chemicals that give off an unpleasant and fruity smell.
Dehydration-Taking large amounts of protein can cause water and fluids to leave the body along with nitrogen. This can leave the body dehydrated and cause deficiency of water and fluids in the body, which can lead to various health issues
Not good for renal health-For those people with preexisting kidney disease, high protein intake can cause them a lot of trouble. Low carbohydrate and high protein diets can cause harmful effects on the filtration system of kidneys.
Calcium loss-Excessive use of proteins can cause calcium loss from the body which can weaken the bones.
High protein food list
- Eggs–Eggs as whole are the most nutritious foods. They are also rich in various vitamins including Vitamin B12. Egg white is considered to be pure protein. They are made of full protein.
- Chicken Breast– If you are trying to increase the protein intake in your diet then chicken breast can be considered as the best option. It is very versatile and easy to cook. It also tastes very delicious and you can try a variety of dishes.
- Lean Beef-lean beef is a rich source of protein. It is also very high in various nutrients like iron, zinc, vitamin B12 and B6. You can consider red meat as a good option but excessive intake can be very harmful.
- Fish– Fish and sea foods are rich sources of protein. Fatty fishes like salmon and herring are considered to have high amounts of Omega-3 which are considered to be good sources of protein.
- Shellfish-Shellfish, and other similar creatures like shrimp, oysters, clams, and scallops are excellent sources of protein. You can also enjoy a wide range of items and dishes from these sea animals.
Vegetarian items for high protein foods
- Milk-Milk contains almost every nutrient that the body needs. It is also a good source of protein. It is also high in various nutrients, vitamins, minerals and calcium. For those on a vegan diet cashew milk and coconut milk could be good substitutes.
- Greek Yoghurt-Greek yoghourt, also known as strained yoghourt, is a very thick type of yoghourt that is rich in protein. It has a creamy texture and is an excellent source of many nutrients including calcium, vitamin B12, vitamin A, The slightly sour taste goes well with both sweet and salty dishes, and can be used as an ingredient in a variety of dishes. Try adding Greek yoghurt to smoothies, soups, salad dressings, and baked goods, or simply sprinkle fruit and crushed nuts for a crunch.
- Cottage Cheese-Cottage Cheese is a type of cheese that is low in fat and at the same time rich in protein. Cottage cheese is as fulfilling as eggs making it a great choice for a high energy breakfast.
- Almonds-Almonds are a rich source of nutrients like fiber, Vitamin E and Magnesium. They contain large amounts of plant based protein. Eating almonds has various health benefits which include sharp memory, lessens chances of high blood pressure, lowers the amount of bad cholesterol.
- Pumpkin Seeds-If you love munching something crunchy but healthy, then pumpkin seeds are a good option for you. Pumpkin seeds are high protein foods. They are very yummy. You can eat them as they are or try adding them in your salads, oat meals, etc.
The bottom Line
Getting enough protein is very essential to maintain good health. But being on a high protein diet for a long time can have negative impacts on health. Protein needs can vary from person to person but according to studies, active people consume 0.54-0.9 grams of protein per pound.