Are you looking for the benefits of Vitamin C? If yes, then you’re on the right article. Here we are going to discuss almost everything related to vitamin C regarding its benefits and some of its negative impacts.
Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid is a water-soluble vitamin. It means that Vitamin C gets dissolved in the water easily and doesn’t have the tendency to stay in the body. So, to maintain proper levels of Vitamin C in our body we should include vitamin C supplements in our daily diet.
Several important functions of Vitamin C:
- Vitamin C helps in protecting cells and keeps the cells healthy.
- Vitamin C controls infections and plays a vital role in healing wounds.
- A powerful antioxidant, Vitamin C neutralizes the harmful effects of radicals.
Source of vitamin C
Various fruits and vegetables are considered to be the best source of Vitamin C. These include:
Citrus fruits like kiwi, orange, and grapefruit.
Properties and Benefits of Vitamin C
1. Prevents Cancer
According to expert studies, the consumption of Vitamin C on a daily basis can protect your body from Cancer. Not only this but it can help cancer patients to get rid of cancer by purifying blood cells.
2. Helps in managing high blood pressure
High blood pressure can lead to various other diseases like heart attacks and chronic heart diseases. Consuming Vitamin C on a daily basis helps blood vessels to relax and also improves blood circulation thus reducing blood pressure.
3. Treats Anaemia
Iron is an important nutrient responsible for making red blood cells and transporting oxygen throughout the body. A deficiency of iron can lead to anemia. Vitamin C supplements increase the absorption of iron from the diet. Vitamin C also helps in proper blood circulation and purification.
4. Boost Immunity
Vitamin C encourages the production of white blood cells in the body. White blood cells are known to fight infections in the body. Vitamin C also plays a major role in strengthening the immune system. Taking vitamin C can boost your immunity and prevent you from diseases like coronavirus.
Vitamin C benefits On Skin
- Treats hyperpigmentation
- Controls aging effects.
- Helps in getting clear skin.
- Clears acne.
- Gives skin a glass-like glowy refreshing look.
Using Vitamin C serum on Skin
Vitamin C is considered to be one of the best ingredients to maintain healthy skin. It is known for its anti-aging properties and helps in maintaining smooth, toned, and glowy skin and complexion.
Applying Vitamin C serum on the face has various benefits. Some of them are:-
- Provides Hydration: Vitamin C acts as a great hydrant thus preventing various issues caused by dry skin. This Vitamin penetrates in the skin and hydrates it thus making it look glowy and refreshing.
- Fades away hyperpigmentation: Hyperpigmentation includes sunspots,ageing spots and melasma. These all are caused due to overproduction of melanin. Vitamin C regulates the production and secretion of chemical substances and prevents hyperpigmentation.
- Works best for dark circles: Vitamin C Serum helps smooth out fine lines by plumping and moisturizing the under-eye area. Although vitamin C helps to reduce overall redness and rashes it can also eliminate discoloration in the under-eye area.
- Reduces Wrinkles: Vitamin C is known for its anti-aging properties. Using a serum that contains Vitamin C can reduce fine lines, wrinkles, and spots making you look younger and more beautiful.
Side effects of Vitamin C
Although Vitamin C has a lot of benefits, when used in excess Vitamin C can cause short-term side effects such as:-
- Nausea and Vomiting
- Stomach cramps and bloating
- Fatigue and insomnia
Uses of Vitamin C
- Vitamin C is used to treat various chronic diseases like scurvy, anemia, heart disease, and stroke, and cancer.
- It is useful in the treatment of Diabetes.
- This Vitamin has healing properties thus it can be used in healing wounds, and reducing redness and rashes.
- It is used to fight dehydration.
- Vitamin C intake can treat colds and reduce the risk of lung infections.
- It is very helpful for reducing hyperpigmentation, acne, spots, and wrinkles.
Vitamin C tablets
As vitamin C is easily soluble in water it doesn’t get stored in the body so we should add it to our daily diet.
On average, an adult human needs 40 mg of Vitamin C per day. So, to complete this need many people prefer to take tablets in order to avoid the deficiency.
Precaution: You should consult a doctor or take advice before starting Vitamin C tablets(as everything has its own benefits and side effects).
Uses and benefits of Vitamin C tablets
Vitamin C tablets can be used to treat the following conditions:
4. Virus and Infections
These tablets can also be beneficial in preventing and managing various diseases:
1. Heart diseases.
2. Low Blood Pressure
That was all you needed to know about Vitamin C. I hope it was as informative as you expected it to be.